How to activate Gigabyte Dual Bios – 30/11/14
I couldn’t access the BIOS on the Gigabyte FM2A84XM motherboard I had for my NAS. Trying to reset the CMOS didn’t do anything, rather it made things worse. BIOS would only show the Gigabyte boot logo and then turn black. The FreeNAS OS couldn’t start and the system would hang whenever a keyboard button is pressed. To activate Dual bios so that the backup bios would reflash the main BIOS chip, you need to…
- TURN OFF ALL POWER TO THE UNIT
- Unplug the power cable
- Switch the PSU OFF
- Press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds
- Using a stripped cable tie, or bent paper clip, locate the M_BIOS chip.
- Connect PIN1 and PIN7 using the paper clip(Pin 1 starts at the triangle pointed at the pin, and the numbers go consecutively clockwise.)
- Power on the PC and wait until it posts (it is much easier if you have the case speaker installed). Release at the beep
- IF the Dual BIOS doesn’t activate, MAKE SURE YOU’RE USING A VGA DISPLAY. I tried activating the dual BIOS but it was plugged in via HDMI. As a result, it didn’t show anything on the screen and I thought the motherboard was dead.
Originally posted 2014-11-30 18:21:38. Republished by Blog Post Promoter